Seminars and Workshops
presented by Lydia Discipleship Ministries
The following leadership training DVD series are available from LDM:
How to be a Barnabas: Helping Hurting People Grow in Their Spiritual Lives DVD Series
Today more than ever, the church is filled with people who need encouragers/helpers to help them grow in their spiritual lives. Many people are Christians, yet need some help to dump the “baggage” that has plagued them for years. This baggage may include the effects of addictions, sexual and physical abuse, and domestic violence to name a few.
This interactive workshop will teach you how to be a Barnabas (“Son of Encouragement”), a person who comes alongside to encourage and help those who are working to get past their past. You’ll have the opportunity to learn what a Barnabas is like, the pitfalls to avoid and most importantly how to prepare to be one. A workshop manual is included. This provides handouts, Bible studies and other materials for one-on-one discipleship and for teaching in group settings. Materials for training your ministry team are also included.
If you are a pastor, counselor, Bible study leader, Sunday School teacher or a person who just wants to help hurting people, this is a workshop you won’t want to miss!!
Katie’s Secret: Recovery from Sexual Abuse -- Leadership Training DVD Series
Statistics show that about one about every five adults in churches today were sexually abused as a child. If these statistics are correct every churches should be prepared to help those in their congregations recover from this horrendous trauma. This workshop prepares a person to participate in the leadership team for Katie's Secret: Recovery from Sexual Abuse.
This workshop prepares a person to participate in the leadership team for Katie’s secret, a 20 week discipleship class dealing with sexual abuse recovery. There will be step by step training on not only understanding the materials for the class but also training in how to “facilitate revelation” that is, how to make room for God to speak to each of the women in the Katie’s Secret recovery class.
The following is a description of the Katie’s Secret recovery class itself: The emphasis is on “processing”, that is dealing with truth on a spiritual and emotional level. The teaching style is interactive with minimal lecturing. For many of the students, direct revelation of truth from God, not static teaching, will bring about healing. The job of the leader is to facilitate this communication between the student and the Lord.
The class will focus on the following questions:
- “Why dig around in my past?”
- “What message about being a woman did I receive from my parents?”
- “What does it mean to think like a woman?”
- “What are the effects of sexual abuse on a woman’s sexual identity?”
- “Can You really remake me, Lord?”
- “Can I ever go back to the innocence?”
- “Is there a difference between how I see myself and how I project myself to others?”
- “How does my view of myself impact my relationships with others?”
- “What are some of the common specific effects of sexual abuse?”
- “Am I willing to change my perspective?”
- “Why am I afraid to look behind the door?”
- “How did my abuse change my heart?”
- “What are the symptoms that I have shame in my life?”
- “How have I coped with shame? Has it worked?”
- “How do I get rid of my shame?”
- “What are the physical effects of my abuse?”
- “How do I get rid of my embedded guilt?”
- “What are the normal stages of emotional maturity?”
- “Is it possible to ‘grow up backwards’?”
- “How do I deal with the intense self-hatred I feel?”
- “What is my identity as a woman?”
- “Do I need to deal with my attitudes about how God intended women to compliment men?”
- “How do I deal with my fear of intimacy or my fear of men?”
- “How can I remove my warped perspective about men?”
- “How do I deal with my anger towards God?”
A TESTIMONY FROM THE KATIE’S SECRET CLASS
Katie’s Secret was a structure of time and a SAFE place for healing form sexual abuse. The use of open-ended questions to allow God to answer us directly through His Word and with His Holy Spirit helped create safety and allow God to heal us. No one told us what or how to think in order “to get healed.” This resulted in God healing my broken heart (at 62 years of age) from being sinned against sexually when I was between 6 and 7 years of age. This was a unique process– I have not experienced this way to healing before. God heals deep and complete when we invite Him to do it!
R&R Discipleship Training [coming soon!]
Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a discipleship class at your church that was especially designed to meet the needs of those who are working to get past their past? That past may have included addictions, sexual abuse or other traumas and brokenness.
Or if you are a counselor, you may have often wished that there was a program at your church that would be suitable for your clients – one that would serve as an adjunct to the counseling experience.
Now there is! The R&R discipleship class was specifically created to meet the needs of these hurting people.
Those who attend this leadership training workshop will learn how to implement this discipleship program in their church.
Topics covered include:
- Beginning a Discipleship Program for Hurting People
- Developing a Ministry Team
[Until this training series is completed on DVD, please refer to "The R&R Discipleship Program: A Complete Guide" available at www.lydiapress.com